Friday, March 25, 2011

21 gun salute!

Hey all! I know I'm still MIA, but family first.

Today my grandfather was laid to rest in the Korean war memorial in Gustine, California with full military honors.

I requested to my family to do a speech for him, and they agreed.

Here is my speech about the wonderful man my grandfather was.




My grandfather, Michael Clark was a man who was born with almost nothing, he

neither had shoes, nor a floor under his feet, but even with nothing, he wanted to

give every thing. One of his first aspirations was to become a doctor, but after being

told that was economically impossible by school counselors, he ended up enlisting

in the Army as an officer. There he became a teacher of many practices including

jujitsu, and automotive theory. Since then, and until his passing he continued to

practice teaching as much as he could, but rather than the trades he taught in the

Army, what we all remember him for is what we had learned from him, for his entire

life he taught the simplicity of kindness, and lead by example of that.



Aside from a teacher my grand father was driven, he worked for what he loved, and

he always made sure to follow through. In the Army it brought him up through the

ranks in record speed, but back home he had raised three loving children and he

continued to raise his grandchildren with the same passion.



The same qualities that brought him to become a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army,

Mayor of a Japanese village, and corporate business man were never held back even

when dealing with me, Tyler Wiest as a young boy. He always had a never-ending

courtesy and a can do attitude, with professionalism and kindness.



Growing up, he brought me everywhere, as long as we weren’t late, and so long as

he could buy me ice cream from Mcdonalds. My grandfather worked with me on

my school-work tirelessly and he never complained about it, even after I gave him

a hard time from my immature stubbornness. His tireless positive attitude has had

an enormously profound effect on my life. With out my grandfather being there

growing up, I can guarantee all of you, I would barely be half the man I am today.



With all that being said, I thank you so very much, and I love you papa.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, your speech was superb. You made the visit to the grave site very special. Thank you for writing it. Papa is very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy, I really appreciate that :) It was from the heart, the hand just took the notes, great seeing you today, and hoping every thing goes smoothly in these next few days back home with every one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler, your speech was beautiful, Papa has always been proud of you and he is smiling down from heaven, that is why there was that beautiful rainbow we all saw as we drove down the driveway after the grave site visit.

    ReplyDelete